Moving into your new home is an exciting time, but there are a few things you should take care of beforehand.
- Utilities– Turn the utilities on in your name starting on the day you take possession of the home. Your realtor should provide a list of service providers for you but if not you can search online.
- Extra cleaning– The former owner should have left the home “broom swept” clean but many new homeowners want to do a more thorough cleaning before moving in. It’s smart to pay extra attention to door handles and light switches too. You may also want to spray for pest control.
- Safety– Be sure to have all the locks on the exterior doors re-keyed right away. You should also change the code on your garage door opener and check to see if you can change the gate code as well. The batteries in your smoke detectors should be changes as well, you don’t know when they were changed last. Your safety is the top priority and you don’t know who may have had access to your home previously.
- Change of Address- Be sure to notify every one of your new address. This list should include your bank, your driver’s license, voter registration, insurance companies, doctor and dentist offices, and your employer.
- Owner’s Manuals- Your appliances all have owner’s manuals that the previous homeowner should have left behind for you. If there is anything missing you can search online for the information and download it to your desktop. Then should you need the information in the future it is right there at your fingertips.
I hope these tips help you think of things you may not have considered and help to make your move as smooth as can be.