If a hurricane or tropical storm came your way do you have a plan for your pets?
Most of us like to believe “it will never happen to me” but what if does. How would you protect your best friend?
Red Cross shelters typically do not accept dogs so if you live in an evacuation zone decide now where you would go.
Before the storm arrives be sure your pet is micro chipped and wears a collar with your identification in case you get separated.
You should also put together an emergency kit for each pet. A backpack or duffel bag works great. Start with these items-
- Copies of their shot records, license, and pet records in a clear plastic bag
- If your pet takes medication add an extra supply to her emergency kit
- A blanket or towel for drying off or sleeping on
- Enough pet food, treats and water for at least 7 days
- Can opener for wet food along with extra leash, food bowls, toys, brush and plastic potty bags
Please take the time now to prepare your pet’s emergency kit. If a storm does come you will be glad you did.
Kelly Harden, Realtor®
Mihara & Associates, Inc.