Mosquito bites are annoying, itchy, red and swollen but they can also be a major health concern for you and your pet.
The good news is there are some things you can do to help control the mosquito population in Tampa Bay.
Mosquitos are most active in the warm summer months with breeding season lasting from July to September. The males feed on plant nectar but females need blood in order to reproduce, which makes you and your pet look very appealing.
Orkin pest control recommends doing the following to help control mosquitos around your home.
- Remove items that can collect standing water. Mosquitos only need 1″ of water to breed.
- Keep your gutters clean to avoid rainwater buildup. Check for rain puddles on the roof, leaky pipes and even air conditioner drip lines.
- Change water frequently (at least once a week) in bird baths, potted plants, fountains, wading pools, or any containers that hold standing water.
- Keep swimming pools treated and functioning properly.
- Trim shrubs. Adult mosquitos rest in dark protected areas with high humidity.
- Eliminate points of entry in your home. Inspect doors, windows and a/c units for drafts and openings. Make sure your weather-stripping around doors and calk around windows is in good condition.
- Check window and door screens to make sure they are secure and free of holes or tears.
- Keep doors closed.
I hope these tips help control the mosquito population around your home this summer!
Kelly Harden, Realtor
Mihara & Associates, Inc.