If you are renovating the home you just purchased or if you are considering updating your existing home, following these tips can help make sure you are pleased with the results of your renovation.
- Set the budget. Be realistic about the cost of the improvements you want to make and be sure to allow a cushion to cover unforeseen expenses that always come up
- Don’t over improve the property. If your renovations turn your home into the nicest home in the neighborhood with a state-of-the-art kitchen and bath you most likely will not get back the cost of the remodel when you sell the home. Keep this in mind if you want to sell in the next few years.
- Be prepared for inconveniences, dust, noise and delays. Construction projects can be loud and messy. You won’t be able to use the area that is being remodeled for a period of time. Which means if you are updating the kitchen be prepared to eat take out for a while.
- Do your research ahead of time. Hire a quality contractor with lots of recommendations. Check their references. Insist on a detailed contract and timeline.
- Secure valuables before the job starts. If you don’t want it broke, lost or covered in dust pack it away before construction begins.
- Inspect the work carefully before making the final payment.
Following these 6 tips should help ensure a successful renovation!
And if you want to see my video about these tips click here