Moving has been shown to be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life.
Stress comes from more than just the physical act of packing and unpacking. Moving requires you to leave behind the current security of your home and create a new environment for yourself.
Here are some things you can do to minimize the stress and make moving a breeze:
- Start Early- You’ve heard the expression the early bird gets the worm, haven’t you? This is true in packing as well. As soon as you decide to move you can begin packing seasonal items, extra sets of dishes and all those items you don’t use regularly. Waiting until the last minute will only add to your stress level
- Have a Plan- Whether you decide to pack one room at a time or a little bit from each room make a plan and stick to it. Labeling and numbering each box will let you know where it belongs when it is time to unpack. If you keep a list of how many boxes each room has you can be sure everything arrived at your new home.
- Pack Essentials Separately– Your toiletries, a set of clothes, clean sheets and anything else you may need when you first arrive at your new home should be packed separately in your suitcase. This will eliminate having to search through every box for them when you arrive at your destination.
- Set up a”TRASH” and a “DONATIONS” Box- As you are packing, you are going to find items you no longer want or need. If they are in good condition you can donate them to a local charity, if not go ahead and throw them away now instead of moving them to your new home.
- Set Up a Reward System- To make packing seem like less of a chore be sure to reward yourself with a special treat after every 10 boxes and when complete.
Following these tips should make your next move easier.